ENT doctor exams a male patient's throat

When Should I See an ENT Specialist?

By: | Tags: , , | Comments: 0 | October 18th, 2018

ENT doctor exams a male patient's throat

What is an ENT Specialist

When you have ongoing or serious problems with your ears, nose or throat, it might be time to see an ENT specialist. These specialists also called otolaryngologists, have training and education in treating conditions that affect these parts of your body. Find out more about what an ENT specialist does so that you can determine if you need to see one.

Conditions That ENT Specialists Treat

ENT specialists have the skills, education, and training to diagnose and treat or manage a wide range of conditions that affect the ears, nose, and throat, including:

Ear conditions: Tinnitus or ringing in your ears, congenital ear problems, ear pain, hearing problems and ear problems that cause balance and coordination issues

Nose conditions: Sinus problems, nasal cavity problems and other nose-related problems that can affect your sense of smell or your ability to breathe easily

Throat conditions: Throat problems that interfere with your ability to talk and sing and throat problems that cause you to have trouble swallowing and chewing food

Head and neck conditions: Conditions that affect these parts of your body, such as tumors and nerve problems

Some ENT specialists also have additional training in a subspecialty, such as allergies, rhinology, pediatric otolaryngology or laryngology. Other subspecialties include otology, audiology, and Neurotology. ENT specialists can also receive training in facial plastic and reconstructive surgery for drooping eyelids, a cleft palate, a deviated septum and other problems that affect the head or face.

When to See an ENT Specialist

When you have a condition that affects your ears, nose or throat and this condition does not respond to treatment from your primary care doctor, you might need to see an ENT specialist. Your doctor might recommend this if you have a condition that is not improving or a condition that is getting worse. Some of the problems that might cause you to see an ENT specialist include swimmer’s ear, allergies, asthma, dizziness, and ear infections. You might also need to see an ENT specialist if you have persistent tinnitus, sinus problems, coordination problems, tonsil infections or a hearing impairment.

Seeing an ENT specialist means that you will undergo specialized testing that helps produce an accurate diagnosis. Once you know what kind of problem you have, an ENT specialist can go over your treatment options and discuss ways to manage your condition.

Testing That ENT Specialists Do

What can you expect when you make an appointment with an ENT specialist? These specialists typically do a physical examination of the affected area to look for signs of a problem, such as swelling or redness. Depending on the symptoms you have, an ENT specialist might also take a mucus culture, conduct a hearing test, do a nasal endoscopy or perform an ear pressure test. Other tests that you might undergo when you see an ENT specialist include allergy tests if you have symptoms that affect your ears, nose or throat.

After running tests, ENT specialists go over the results in order to determine a treatment plan. The type of treatment you might need in order to manage your condition will depend on what it is and how severe it is. For example, an ENT specialist might recommend hearing aids if you have a hearing impairment or surgery if you have recurring tonsil infections or a deviated septum.

If you need to see an ENT specialist for a problem with your ears, nose, throat, head or neck, please contact Boulevard Medical Healthcare to schedule an appointment. We provide ENT services, as well as many other health care services, at our Bronx office.

Thank you very much for your submission! We will get back to you as soon as possible!